Today I bring you…breakfast! Saturday was a great day–because it was the first day all week that I got to be at home. I spent it putting up Christmas decorations (photo blog to come), then finally sat down to a late breakfast when my growling stomach would no longer be ignored.
More often than not, I like eggs and veggies for breakfast. By default I usually make an omelet with some variation of cheese and vegetables, but I was in the mood to mix it up just a bit. I have whole wheat tortillas in the fridge that I will use to make my quick breakfast go-to–a breakfast burrito with scrambled eggs, cheese, buffalo sauce and a smidge of ranch. I also had a bag of spinach needing to be used, and some sweet peppers and mushrooms. So I got creative!
Florentine is just a fancy way of saying “on a bed of spinach”, which is what I used for the base of my burrito. I scrambled some eggs with almond milk and poured them on top of some sautéed veggies, then put that on top of the spinach. Top it off with some freshly grated cheese (I cheated with a bag of shredded colby jack) and a little salsa or hot sauce. It is so, so quick and easy!
- Two eggs
- 1-2 splashes of almond milk, unsweetened original
- handful of fresh spinach leaves
- One baby bella mushroom, sliced
- One mini sweet red pepper, diced
- 1/4 tsp minced garlic
- 1 whole wheat tortilla wrap
- 1/2 – 1 ounce of freshly grated cheese, whatever kind you prefer
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil for sauteeing
- salsa or hot sauce for topping
- Add half of olive oil to skillet over medium heat. Add peppers and mushrooms and sautee for a few minutes, until they just start to soften, then add garlic.
- While this is cooking, beat eggs and almond milk until well mixed. Pour into skillet, then salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer for a couple of minutes, then begin to fold periodically until eggs are cooked through. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add remaining olive oil to skillet, remove skillet from heat, then add spinach leaves. This is important, because you do not want spinach to over-wilt. Salt and pepper the spinach to taste, then toss with a spatula or rubber scraper until the leaves just start to darken and wilt.
- Remove spinach from skillet and place down center of whole wheat tortilla. Top with egg mixture, then grate cheese on top.
- Top with hot sauce, salsa, or any condiment of your choosing…for me, hot sauce was my preference.
- Wrap and enjoy!